Thursday, February 9, 2012

Alfredo and The Blender

Sounds like an interesting movie title but it's not..

I decided to make a large batch of Alfredo with my "special" blender..

Sooo, how do I start my Alfredo?


Skim Milk (gotta watch those calories and grams of fat), Minced Garlic, Parmesan Cheese, Chopped Parsley, heyyy, go get your own recipe..  This post is more about a technique than the actual recipe.  ALWAYS have tasting spoons ready.


And out comes the star of the show.


The Blendtec (http://www.willitblend.com/) is a mean puppy.  You can run a "Soup, Sauce" cycle that allows the blades to spin fast (1560 W of power) and for about 90 seconds which allows the product to be "heated" in the blender.  This is important because it allows the Alfredo to "emulsify" (bring together two "unblendable" liquids) quite nicely and the extra air that gets introduced gives it a nice mouthfeel.

Sooo..  What's the end product look like you ask?


Not the best picture but you didn't read all of this because of the pictures so there..

Here is the product on the lunch line at school..


Did I mention that after the Alfredo, I thorougly cleaned the blender and made some soup?


Pasta (Whole Grain Rotini or Spaghetti), Sauce (Alfredo or Marinara), choice of protein (Chicken or Ground Beef), Whole Grain Breadstick, Green Salad and Chicken & Tomato Soup.. $3.75

And that's how I roll..  Actually, rolls will be dicussed later on..

I dedicate this to my blender..

This is my blender. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My blender is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my blender is useless. Without my blender, I am useless. I must crank up my blender true. I must blend better than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must outblend him before he outblends me. I will. Before Yukiyu I swear this creed: my blender and myself are defenders of my kitchen, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen

Listening to Song for You by Alexi Murdoch
http://youtu.be/WB4dAdPu_lg

2 comments:

Margary said...

How else can things be emulsified, if you are not the proud owner of a fancy blender.

Jose Nieves-Cortes said...

Egg yolks (lecithin) is used in Aïoli, Hollandaise and Mayonnaise, honey, heavy cream and mustard are common in the kitchen. If you get into molecular gastronomy, they use a lot of different emulsifiers (Colloidal Agents) to create things like Adria's foams and other stuff.

A common emulsion is milk.. They run the liquid through a series of screens that break up the proteins in milk to an extent that they get "blended" into it and stabilize the liquid.