Friday, February 10, 2012

Lentils and Rice..

The overwhelming majority of votes asked for California Wild Rice and french Green Lentils so I tried both..

The California Grade A+ Long Grain Wild Rice from Indian Harvest is beautiful to look at and even more satisfying to consume.


Their description of the product is thus "This glossy, rich wild rice is prized for its long grains and ultra-upscale appearance. Considered to be the finest grains available, Grade A+ Wild Rice offers a nutty flavor with umami overtones. Grown in the mountains of northeastern California."

I wondered if I could take the "leftover" cooking water, reduce it and use it to flavor a dressing to accompany the rice since I'll be serving it as a cold salad bar choice.  I'll have to try that next time.  As I cooked the rice, I kept getting this wonderful earthy smell that just draws you into the whole process.  The taste was exactly what I expected from the product..  Nutty, rich, with some tooth to it (why must people overcook wild rice until it resembles popped corn?) and deeply complex.


Now on to one of my favorite things to cook.  Lentils, specifically French Lentils.


"The deep olive green and black coloring of the pure (lePuy type) lentil provides an exciting accent to dishes. An earthy flavor complements rich stocks and sauces."

To me, these guys are the epitome of lentils.  I've used them for years in soups, as a simple amuse-bouche and as an accompaniment to a whole host of vegetables and meats.  Earthy, rich and "meaty" are some of the words I would use to describe these.  I've cooled them down and will mix them with the mixed salad we offer them and see what they say.

The end result you ask?

From left to right, cooked Wild Rice, pickled radish shavings and cooked Lentils.

For my next post, I will talk about my vacuum sealer.

Listening to 3 Rounds and a Sound by Blind Pilot

One Red Thread by Blind Pilot

3 comments:

Margary said...

What so special about French Lentils? and where can you find them?

Jose Nieves-Cortes said...

They are what I trained with and to me, they have a smoother, creamier texture than other lentils. These and some flageolet should be in every pantry. You probably need a "specialty" store to find some LePuy and Flageolets.

Margary said...

I love it when you use fancy names for food :)